Thursday, February 5, 2009

Inklings and Wild Things


                    (Nick Cave is an anti-hero I value dearly.)

Already five days into February. It's amazing how quickly time is passing us by. I feel like each day follows a similar pattern and before my head can wrap around the clock another week is over and I'm sitting on my coach on a Sunday night, thinking about the upcoming week. It's perplexing and frightening.

I was able to meet most of my goals for January, the biggest being a new-found direction for the fall. The prospects of returning to university to study English is very exciting. Getting out the day-job-business-office-politics-water-cooler-talk-cliche will be great for my soul. For now, it's a good job and I'm earning a decent amount of bread. Also been doing research into MFA's for Creative Writing, but I know that my work is not up to snuff for acceptance at the school's I'd want to attend. Yet. I feel more motivated to write and push myself than I ever have before.

The coolest thing I've got planned for the coming week is a consultation with a Vancouver tattoo artist. I've wanted a tattoo for a long time, but never had a clear idea of what I'd want on my body. You know, permanently. At Christmastime, I was visiting my folks and re-read "Where the Wild Things Are." I've always cherished the book and the art of Maurice Sendak. I realized that an illustration from this book would be something I could live with and love having on my body forever. I'm going to meet with Jesse, the tattoo artist, and ask him if he thinks he could, for lack of a better way to put it, copy the illustration onto my arm. This is what I'm thinking of, where Max is being carried by the Wild Things, his scepter held high.  




With you in mind, faithful reader, I plan to finish the first draft of a short story I've been writing on-and-off since the fall. I'll post an excerpt soon for your hungry eyes.

In the meantime, go see "Coraline" this weekend. I caught a pre-screening of it on Monday with my little brother and it is amazing. Catch it soon before it's no longer offered in 3D.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cail - I enjoy your writings/ramblngs. I'm procrastinating in class and this is the perfect thing to keep my mind occupied on more important things (haha?) than Textiles 101.