Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Journal" sounds better than "Blog"

Up to this point, my goal has been to avoid doing actual "blog" posts. I don't want to be a typical blogger who posts inane blathering about pets, trips to Gettysburg or office politics. No sir. My goal was to use this site solely for posting drafts of my writing.

However, I've come to realize much of what makes a blog interesting to read is engaging in the personal life of the writer. Reading about what fuels someone to create can be as interesting as what they are creating. For example, I read Neil Gaiman's journal everyday. I'll poke around and read essays and things that he's written, but the most interesting part of his website is his online journal. It's fascinating to read about the day-to-day activities that comprise his life and the events surrounding his writing.

I will continue to post drafts of poems/short stories/essays that I'm working on, but I will also write more personal entries about how my writing is going, what I'm working on, life decisions, etc. It'll also encourage me to update Cold Bullets more frequently.

Currently I'm working on a review of the documentary Flow for the non-profit site WaterDrop and a short piece for Sparrow Guitar's website about their main pin-stripper. Kicking around a couple short stories as well. Also, I've been considering going back to school for a year of upper-level English courses and subsequently becoming an English teacher in the UK for a while.

Been reading Just After Sunset, the new short story collection by Stephen King. The writing is strong and it leans more on weird aspects of the human psyche than the supernatural. It's an engrossing read, like most of his writing.

Now, back to work. I'm still at the office.

No comments: