Friday, May 29, 2009

Sins of the Father (Part 2)

I've been running my entire life.
Ran away from home when I was seven.
Cheated on my high school girlfriend
To push her away.
Now I'm walking out on my wife
My son.
I've never been good with words
And even less with goodbyes.
I packed my bags while my boy was at school.
At least I waited until he got home.
But now I'm leaving.
Don't ask my why.
Let's just say I'm cashing in my chips for a new hand.
This life was too small for me.
But the road ahead is wide open.
The freeway is calling my name
So I'm washing my hands of this life.
Maybe you'll understand when you're older, son.
Maybe not.
God, I pray you turn out to be a better man than me.

4 comments:

Owen said...

wow, intense

Cail said...

Ha ha, that's how I let out my angst: boxing and poetry.

Anonymous said...

you mentioned these to me when we were driving to north van (sex & candy); i really like the coupling of such different perspectives. the line about cashing in his chips particularly struck me. nice work.

Unknown said...

I like your style.