Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Late Night Fright


The wind is howling late tonight
And I must say, there is a slight
Uneasiness in how I feel
As if my stomach were an eel.

My room is dark, the colors muted
But suddenly, as if recruited
Thunder, lightening, hitting fast
Strike with great electric wrath.

Blankets pulled around my face
My parents gone, without a trace.
Out to visit Granny dear
Leaving me alone in here.

We live on Hollow Crescent Lane
A dreary street with loads of rain.
A creepy place to raise a child
And here's the kicker (this is wild)
My backyard is a cemetery
"All who enter, be ye wary."
Reads the sign above the gates
Perhaps some evil perpetrates
Cruel acts of malice with intent.
At least this place is cheap on rent.

I venture forth out from my room
For if I stay I could be doomed
What if a tree branch crashed and fell
Onto my bed, I could not tell
Would I live or maybe perish?
If only I lived near a parish.

I reach the kitchen, bathed in black
And almost have a heart attack.
Two eyes burn yellow in the night
Giving me an awful fright.

Before my knees give out and buckle
I catch myself and have a chuckle.
For sitting on our kitchen table
Is our cat, Sir Henry Fable.

I grab Sir Henry, milk and cookie
And head upstairs, the house less spooky.
I snuggle down and before long
My snores ring steady, like a song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a wonderful mind.

love you.